UL Lafayette commencement speakers are chosen through a selection process involving a committee. The committee takes into consideration suggestions made through this website by students, staff, faculty, alumni, and others in the community.
We invite you to suggest a commencement speaker for an upcoming UL Lafayette commencement ceremony. While alumni speakers are preferable, we are looking for someone with broad appeal—a speaker who will recognize that a commencement audience is a large group of individuals with a diverse range of values, interests, and concerns.
A suggestion for commencement speaker should be based on the following considerations:
- Outstanding achievement in an academic field, the arts, business, etc.
- Innovative and creative achievements
- Humanitarian deeds and the degree to which the candidate’s activities have touched various lives
- Extent to which the candidate’s achievement represents sustained efforts over the course of his/her career
- Extent to which the candidate represents an outstanding model for our graduates
- The honor brought to UL Lafayette should the candidate accept the nomination
Lists of nominees will be compiled and shared with the committee. Please be aware that identifying and securing external speakers is a complex process involving many considerations and requiring a firm commitment on the part of those invited.
Please include with your recommendation a brief identification of the individual being nominated. Be aware that selection and arrangements normally take a minimum of six months to complete.